‘Tis the season to get back to it.
As a personal trainer and a fitness instructor who has been in the industry for over a decade, I know that sounds like an oxymoron.
I’m talking to myself.
When I tell ladies at the gym, “Girl, I get it. The struggle is real!” I’m not just making small talk. I feel that with EVERY part of my existence. My struggle has been real, private and public, challenging, back-breaking, earth-shattering, faith-testing, depressing and it has made me question everything about my life; including what I do every day which is love people back to holistic health and wellness. It wasn’t just the emotional stress of my personal life that took me down through there. It was what stress and heavy activity and age did to my body and my soul.
And now I’m sitting over here recovering from shoulder surgery.
And so, as I sit back (literally, I’m at home because I’d normally be teaching Zumba and Piloxing and I can’t so…..) and think, “what do I have control over?” The truth is my hormones have a mind of their own and I cannot stop the aging process (I actually kind of like the freedom that comes with your forties) but I can do activity that keeps me moving, eat food that heals my body and doesn’t work against it, find practices that soothe my soul, mind and heart and eliminate people, places and things that threaten that.
Confession #1: I am STRUGGLING with letting go of Starbucks. It’s not good for my wallet and the sugar free syrup and caffeine is not good for me over time but the experience of having my latte is so good for my soul. I have cut back but I feel like life is just too short to not go in and talk to my baristas and have my cup in hand while I drive around town. I’ll get back to you on this one.
Now, to the food. And to the supplements. And to one of my FAVORITE companies and group of people in the world, NOW Foods. I am an ambassador with this company not in some attempt to just get as much “exposure” as I can. I, literally, adore these people and everything the company represents. I’ve been to the facility and have watched how the products are made and listened to head people talk about the integrity of what they do so I’m SUPER confident when I take something that comes from them. My house is FULL of NOW products (and if you’ve been over to visit you know what I mean), from my essential oils (my bedroom, my bathroom, my kitchen, my yoga bag), to my cabinets (my oatmeal, my quinoa, my pasta) to my supplements (let’s not even go there) to my refrigerator (flax oil, stevia, probiotics, etc.). However, since I can’t share the one million products I use, I want to share a few of my favorites with you and how they are helping me get back on track.
- Plant Protein Complex: I am vegan. I lift heavy weights. I also stop eating when I am stressed. Having protein powder is a MUST for me. This one is completely soy free (the jury is still out on whether soy is good or not good so I just don’t do anything in excess….well, except Starbucks) with 22 grams of protein per serving and no sugar.
- Multi-Food 1 Vitamins: Even on my best day, I can still miss the mark. Taking a vitamin daily (and I only have to swallow one of these) is just comfort knowing I have tried to supplement my nutrition the best way I can. None of us is perfect.
- A probiotic: After basically eating the lining of my stomach out with excessive use of Ibuprofen ibuprofen and then going through years of ulcers and gastritis and irritable bowel, I will do anything to help balance my gut. A probiotic has definitely been helpful in maintaining a healthy balance of gut flora.*
- Lavender essential oil: It would probably be easier for me to tell you what I DON’T use this for than how I use it. I have found lavender to be very soothing and calming when I use it as part of my shower and nighttime routine. When I feel very tense and stressed, I just inhale a little of it and I also use it during my yoga practice just to wind down. I have been known to put a drop in my laundry. I just like the way it smells. 😊
- Liquid Stevia: If you’ve spent some time with me on any time on my Instagram, you know two things: 1) I love cake and 2) I love this stuff. Cinnamon vanilla is probably my favorite this time of the year (and I just ran out this morning ☹) and I use it in my smoothies, coffee substitutes, oatmeal, muffins, protein shakes and everything. It’s a great alternative to me caving in to those cravings that I have for “something sweet.” I may have four or five bottles in my possession right now but that’s not a really big deal, right?
- Turmeric: The day I found out this may help with pain from overuse is the day I started taking it.* Turmeric (yes, the spice) is categorized as an immune system-supporting herb and I use it as part of my daily routine to keep my muscles cooperating. At this stage in the game, I, honestly, can’t see myself living without it. I actually started ordering it and sending it to my friends.
And because I believe in these products so much, I want to give you the opportunity to win ALL of them and try them for yourself! Just leave a comment below letting me know your plan for getting or staying on track during this challenging time! Winner will be announced Tuesday, November 21st!
November and the holiday season can be hard on a lot of us. Keep one foot going forward and focus on how you can make the best with what you have right now. Every day won’t be good and you won’t feel your best every day but just make a commitment to show and keep moving, now is the time for us to take our lives back. It can be a sweet November no matter how somber it’s been in the past.
Here’s to us!!
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.**