2014 wasn’t my best year.
I did had some rock star moments though.
Attending the first ever Blog Fest (in conjunction with IDEA Fitness World Convention) in Anaheim, California (and visiting Disney World) were definitely highlights! I got to hugs and hang out with some of my favorite online friends and fitness inspirations, apologize to Jillian Michaels for my misconception of her, taste new food, work off some stress in an impromptu dance battle at the Reebok booth and do the ice bucket challenge with my peeps. Let’s not even discuss working out like bootcamp with Shauna Harrison, PiYo with Chalene Johnson and the premiere of Piloxing Knockout with my love Viveca Jensen. Those were just the highlights. THIS year is going to be epic!
I’ve already been hooked up with two buddies (one first time Blog Fest attendee and one return attendee like me) so we hang, share experiences and make sure no one misses anything! My first buddy is Beth who blogs at Running With The Sunrise (go check out her blog!). This is going to be her first Blog Fest! Yay! Here, in her own words are a few things about her:
1. Who are you? / what city you live in / what you blog about? I live in the Chicago suburbs with my husband and our two dogs. I am primarily a runner-yogi, although I love mixing things up and trying out lots of different workouts. I’m a yoga teacher and a certified running coach, so most of my blog posts are about running or yoga, although I do like to cover other healthy living topics.
2. What are you hoping to get out of BlogFest 2015? I’m hoping to network with lots of other like-minded bloggers and to hopefully pick up some tips and tricks to become a better blogger and help me build my brand.
3. Anything you’re really excited / nervous / anxious about the conference? I’m mostly nervous because I don’t know what to expect. Or what to pack! Do I wear leggings or business clothes? 😉
4. What are your favorite healthy snacks? I love almonds, berries, and Greek yogurt. Anything that gets in extra nutrients while helping me hold over until my next meal!
5. What type of workout could you not live without? I couldn’t live without any workout that helps me release stress from other parts of my life. I work through a lot of things in my head on my runs and I release a lot of emotion during my yoga practice.
6. If you could close one fast food chain, due to disgusting food, what would you pick? Ooh, this is a tough one. Maybe KFC? That Double Down “Sandwich” never should have happened.
Oh, I know I’m going to like her already. 🙂
My second buddy is Kylie. Kylie blogs at KylieBurnside. She is a return Blog Fest attendee. Here she is in her own words!
1. Who are you?/what city you live in / what you blog about? I’m an upstate New York turned California girl, living in the beautiful city of San Diego. While I went to Ithaca College for communications and started out my career on that path, working at Disneyland and then a PR agency, after attending IDEA World/Blog Fest last year, I decided to take the leap out of the corporate world to pursue my entrepreneurial dreams in the fitness and writing world. I’m an online personal trainer and fitness nutrition coach and love blogging/writing about a variety of healthy living topics. While talking about the physical parts of fitness and healthy living is important, I tend to be drawn to more of the mental/emotional topics that occur when on a fitness journey for women. I’m currently engaged and about to be married at a weekend adventure-themed wedding cross country in the backwoods of Virginia in six weeks! My fiance and I have two dogs who we’re completely obsessed with and we’re road tripping to and from Virginia just so they can join us (ha – yes, we are THOSE people)! 🙂
2. What was your favorite part about BlogFest last year? I’m a big conference nerd and truly loved the content that was pulled together for the session. From kicking everything off with the Lorna Jane crew to hearing Jillian Michaels and Cassie Ho speak to learning more of the nitty gritty law and money information in other sessions, it was all amazing. However, content aside, my favorite part was having our own little small troop within the IDEA WORLD Convention to connect to. Whenever we were in our BlogFest room, it felt safe and like you were with other women (and a few men!) who are very like-minded. This type of conference appeals to certain people and it was so wonderful to meet so many friendly people wanting to bring value to others, too!
3. What’s your ultimate workout must-have? Initially, I wanted to say WEIGHTS (e.g., dumbbells or kettle bells) as that’s been the basis of my fitness transformation over the past two years or so. However, to keep it interesting, I’ll say (aqualogix equipment https://www.
4. If money was no object, where would you travel for vacation and what would you do there? I would buy a boat and travel throughout the world and make every day a vacation – working on the go! 😉
5. What is your spirit animal? I feel a special connection to the Hummingbird. I have a tattoo of a small hummingbird on my side and now anytime I see one it reminds me of my grandfather who passed away from cancer in Oct. 2013 and we were very close. Ever since seeing this meaning on a Papayra card, I’ve loved the meaning of Hummingbirds. We are even having a hummingbird pistachio cake at our wedding now! 🙂 CANT WAIT TO DIVE INTO IT!!
Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration. Hummingbirds open our eyes to the wonder of the world and inspire us to open our hearts to loved ones and friends. Like a hummingbird, we aspire to hover and to savor each moment as it passes, embrace all that life has to offer and to celebrate the joy of everyday. The hummingbird’s delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life’s sweetest creation.
Maybe I’m not so much like a Hummingbird but it’s a great aspiration to have based on this meaning. 🙂
6. And what makes you blog? And why fitness? Blogging is something I always was attracted to for many years before actually starting my blog at LittleMsFitness.com – Finally one day my friend told me just start it. I often get caught up in the topic and thinking I need to stick to ONE thing as we’re often told niche down. It was after I stopped over thinking it that it happened. Last November/December I transitioned my blog over to KylieBurnside.com – After attending BlogFest, this was something I started thinking about more and decided to take the plunge. As for fitness, there’s quite a bit of back story to how I discovered my passion. It was really just “under my nose” the entire time. Welcome you to read my Bodybuilding.com article to find out more if interested: http://www.
Sounds like Kylie is just as ready as I am to get back to the Blog Fest groove!
I was also one of ten chosen to present in the Blog Fest lightening round! It’s hard to explain it to someone who’s not familiar with it but imagine teaching something of value to a room of people you REALLY admire and respect in five minutes. Yeah. So I’m excited, nervous and long-winded. My topic is learning to tell the truth and allowing that freedom to help you release the real beast inside of you. People have no idea how much I’ve had to walk this out since the day I received the email saying I was in the top sixteen. Just wow. It’s going to be an amazing four days and an AMAZING weekend: Beto, Jeannette Jenkins, Lebert Fitness, Piloxing, ActivMotion Bar…… can it just be July already?
Did you go to Blog Fest last year? What was your favorite part? Are you going this year? What are you looking forward to the most?