Happy First Day of Fall!
I LOVE this season! I am a Summer baby through and through (by birth and by the need to have sunlight as long as possible) but Fall definitely has its place in my heart. The cooler temperatures are definitely welcoming in the morning. I wish I could be in the 60’s in the morning (with sunlight, of course, at 3:00 a.m.) and then in the 80’s all day, with the sun shining bright until about 8:30 p.m. when I start getting ready for bed. Is that too much to ask? 🙂
I am also loving these season releasing my preconceived notions about food and supplements. If you’ve been following along with me then you know I had some trouble with my diet (sometimes just too tired and/or stressed) to eat and I was missing meals and feeling terrible. I’ve been trying lots of new things to help through the season of settling back into my body and readjusting and I was introduced to this:
Disclosure Statement: This post is sponspored by Manitoba Harvest through my partnership with Fit Approach as a Sweat Pink ambassador. I was not compensated monetarily, but was provided these samples for review. As always, all opinions are my own.
- First, let me say I LOVE hemp protein. Manitoba Harvest’s Hemp 70 is the ONLY water soluble hemp protein on the market. That’s important for those of you who shutter at the the thought of EVER trying hemp protein ever again in life. It can be a little harsh and gritty. This protein is SUPER smooth. You don’t even need a blender to mix it. Yes, seriously. Trust me. I have had my share of hemp protein and gag reflexes afterwards. I still love it but good Lord….
- Hemp 70 is always pure plant based protein that is 95% easily digestible. There are only FOUR ingredients. Big YAY for the vegan girl over here with the sensitive stomach.
- It’s sweetened with coconut sugar (low on the glycemic index) and is FULL omega’s (you know those things are important to us!) and protein. The vanilla flavor has 15 grams of protein and the chocolate has 14 grams.
I decided to take a shot and make some RANDOM smoothie with the vanilla (with it being fall and all) that came to me while I was training a client last week. She didn’t think it was too weird so I went with it. Guess what I added?
I really did. And I just LOVE the way the pineapple looks after I core it. I’m super fascinated by it. But I digress.
I added the following to my BlendTec (do you have one? Did you know you can get them on a payment plan and they totally rock? There’s a link on the right of this post. Click for more info!) and gave it a whirl:
- 10 ounces of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- one small sweet potato (no skin)
- 1/2 to a cup of pineapple (I actually just used “three rings”)
- 1 packet of hemp vanilla protein
- few dashes of cinnamon
Soooo…..the “taste” wasn’t bad. I just felt like I needed more of something, like more pineapple or more sweet potato, maybe less almond milk. What was MORE fascinating was I didn’t even TASTE the protein powder. You know how you get that gritty taste after you’ve swallowed? Nope. There was just a very subtle hint of vanilla and it was a smooth as it could be. That’s pretty impressive. And I would have totally taken a picture of it but….I drank it. 🙂
I decided to give the “no mix” claim a whirl and mix the chocolate protein powder in my overnight oats. I have NEVER mixed protein powder in my overnight oats.
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tbsp. of chocolate PB2
- a sprinkle of cocoa nibs
- 3/4 to 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (depends on how thick you like it)
I let it sit overnight in the fridge and then I ate it in my car between clients this morning.
OMG!!!! This was sooooo fantastic. It was as smooth as it could be. Why I have never thought to add protein powder before? I felt like I had just discovered electricity.
I guess you can pretty much tell that I thought these powders ROCKED! I don’t know which one is my favorite because I like both flavors at different times for different things. I definitely see some pumpkin vanilla something in my future and chocolate, well, in my world, chocolate can just stand alone but it always feels better when it has peanut butter as a friend. I guess if I had to pick then it would be chocolate.
Manitoba Harvest is offering YOU a chance to win a CASE of your favorite flavor. Snap a pic, post on Instagram and use the hash tag #pro70 and you are automatically entered! Please note which flavor you would like to win! (The contest ends Tuesday, September 30th. ) And if you don’t have any hemp protein to snap a picture of, Manitoba Harvest is offering all of you reading 20% off of their pro70 vanilla and chocolate flavors with the code: sweatpinkpro70. How’s THAT for a fall treat?
Have you tried the hemp protein? What did you think? What recipes have you tried with it?