FitBloggin: Being Brave and Authentic

IMG_20140627_193935

All people really know about my trip this weekend is that I went to Savannah and met Arian Foster. 🙂

Arian Foster FitBloggin

It was bigger than that. But that was cool too. 🙂

You may have never heard of FitBloggin but it is a gathering place of people who blog about health and wellness. That’s the short version. What I want you to know is that it was really a gathering of extremely brave people. REALLY brave people. And when I found myself facing what could potentially be a crisis (years in the making) in the privacy of my room, I wondered how brave would I become with this blogging thing.

I heard the word “balance” a lot. I hear it every day. People, well, let me say women because that’s who I mostly serve, use that word like we’re getting paid for itmotivator9da17c491f682e2bcd0bd6fb2294e4d7b914eada. And in the middle of a session this weekend, I heard myself say, “What in the WORLD does THAT mean?” In my world, it meant my kids made it to all of their activities fed and on time, dinner was always cooked at home and hot when everyone arrived, all of my clients stuck to their schedules, I never got injured, I worked out every time and every day I was supposed to, I answered all of my emails, returned every phone call, worked hard enough to pay enough for the BMW I really wanted but made it to every event both of my kids had, be alert enough to listen to my husband talk about his job and drank a green smoothie every day. And it just didn’t happen. Not ever. And every time I “failed” I punished myself for it. Why couldn’t I get it right?

Because my “right” was someone else’s standard.
This weekend, I did away with the word “balance.” I am embracing the word “authentic.” How does it feel to my soul?

Tasha-115See, my husband and I could have a nicer house and nicer cars. But I chose to step back and take care of my health and pursue health and wellness full time. It means I DO get to work out at 1:00 p.m. if I so choose, the same way a friend with an Escalade can’t get off work before 6:00 p.m. because they have to work to pay the car note. How do you balance your health or your job? You then have to ask what’s right in your soul. What CAN you do? And then ask yourself what are you “willing” to do? I could very easily take a part time job at Barnes and Noble the same way a person could just go to gym after their meeting in place of their evening Facebook time. What feels good to you? That’s how you even the scale. You take responsibility for what you choose. Some days it won’t feel good. We live and learn.

I haven’t always felt good about what I’ve blogged. People want to read workouts and “Five Top Steps to Losing WeigPhoto Aug 13, 8 44 09 PMht in the Summertime.” And this weekend helped me get to the core of what I want to talk about on my blog. It’s the lifestyle of wellness and health and exercise. I want to talk about the truth. My truth. I want to talk about the emotions BEHIND those top five steps. What in the world goes through your mind when someone asks you to give up everything you’ve known to be true about diet or exercise? What happens when you see Reese’s cups dancing and taunting you in your dreams? Yeah. It’s crazy, isn’t it? I know because I’ve been there. I want to encourage, motivate and inspire people with the truth. My truth.

My truth.
Like what’s happening now.

Saturday night, I knew something was wrong. I sat down, afraid, and called my husband from my hotel room. I told him what had happened and before I could tell him what I thought was wrong, he told me. He said, “I’ve been thinking that for years.”

It answers all of the questions I’ve had about myself, if it’s true. And I’ve been unfair to myself, believing I haven’t been blogging enough or not about the right things, not taking enough pictures of my workouts or admitting that I just didn’t feel like working out, wanting to cry because I was hurting and frustrated and fighting the anger of being told I wasn’t “allowed” to have those emotions. And the stress of it all was breaking me.

FitBlogging 14

But after this weekend, I’ve chosen to be brave. And authentic. And the blog my life and how I serve you will be better because of it. Whatever comes of it all, I’m cool with it because I was brave.

Is the door being opened for you to be authentic and brave? What’s stopping you?

This entry was posted in 2014, fitbloggin, health, motivational, self-inquiry. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to FitBloggin: Being Brave and Authentic

1. Katy Widrick says:

This gave me chills — it’s so authentic and emotional and really, really resonates with me. Can’t wait to see what you post next (and while I don’t like that you had to break down a bit to build back up, I am glad that you’re being true to yourself in a way that will inspire others who may be facing the same challenges).

• HipHealthyChick says:

Hey, Katy!
      Thanks for stopping by!
      The breakdown always seems to come before the breakthrough, doesn’t it?
      I appreciate you. (((((HUGS)))))

2. I LOVE this post! Good for you for knowing yourself well enough to know what means the most to you in life.

• HipHealthyChick says:

Thanks, Erin! Indeed. A lesson constantly in progress but one worth learning. (((((HUGS)))))

3. Wendy says:

OH! OH! OH!

Get out of my head, will ya? I had that same realization last month. It was why I haven’t blogged or truthfully, I gave myself permission to give up on trying to get healthy. I wasn’t doing it 100%, so I wasn’t doing it.
    So there.
    But, I started believing in myself and the #WYCWYC mindset and I realized I wasn’t a failure, I was ME and it was my life- and the only balance I needed to find was what kept ME together.
    I was supposed to be at Fitbloggin’. We had a family thing happen and i couldn’t go. I was heartbroken. Then I decided to do what I could, and ended up doing something I really enjoyed and owned that it was incredibly fun. I’m rambling but what I want to say is, “Me, too!” and let’s be friends, ok? I need friends who accept for for whatever I am, not what they think I should be.

4. Aliah says:

You are amazing and I admire your strength and authenticity. I am glad we sat next to each other during the “balance” session and I nodded when you spoke because you were speaking my truth (and many of our truths). I am sending you love and light and look forward to following your journey!

• HipHealthyChick says:

Thank you, Sister. You ARE a light. So glad to meet you in person. 🙂 Can’t wait to see you shine more!

5. Liz says:

You are brave and beautifully authentic here. Amazing and inspiring. Thank you,

6. I’m so glad to have met you this weekend! From what I’ve seen, you were already brave and definitely authentic. You are inspiring and positive. I look forward to reading your truth. Thank you for sharing this. Hug!

• HipHealthyChick says:

Hey, Sister! So glad I didn’t get back home before I realized who you were! 🙂 You are so powerful, girl! So glad we got linked up! Looking forward to following what you do next! (((((HUGS)))))

7. This is something I’ve talked about more than I would like to admit, but I am finally stepping into it. I’m so happy that you enjoyed FitBloggin (and the cutie Arian Foster). 🙂 I always feel recommited to being brave + authentic after conferences like FitBloggin.

• HipHealthyChick says:

I get it. I REALLY do. But we can always take that step. We just keep moving. Recommitting can be a beautiful thing. 🙂 (((((HUGS)))))

8. Jessica says:

Tasha, it was wonderful to meet you. You hit the nail on the head for me with this post. I’m not ready to quit my day job yet, but it will happen and I will get there soon. But balance for me has always meant i do everything and feel good about it. But I’m wrong, balance is doing what is nourishing for me and letting go of the rest. Thank you for this post! And thank you for coming to my session!

• HipHealthyChick says:

It was great to meet you, Sister! Glad this could resonate with you as your session did with me! We are in this together to lift each other up and keep each other going. You’ve got this, girl! (((((HUGS)))))

9. Lejoi says:

Thank you so much for helping to promote our concept of being A Brave Chick! Please tell all of your readers to check out our website http://www.BraveChick.com The Brave Chick mission is to create quality products that empower women, support women in their journey to authenticity and give back financially to community organizations that aid women and girls in need. Keep being AUTHENTIC.
    Lejoi Reese-Kinsey, Co-Founder & Co-Owner